dorothy recalls special times

When I think back on the Special Times in my life with Mom, there are so many, I have to force myself to winnow out a few “gems”. Thus, I list a variety below:

  • Mom and Dad bringing new baby Lucy home to Ruxton, and all of us going to Grandma Loo’s to show her our new brother Tom.
  • Mom moving us out of our Carmel house all by herself. Who was that truck-rental guy?
  • Mom making me take a shower before I went to work, because I smelled bad. (I fought and lost, thank goodness!) (Assonet)
  • Mom asking Sara and me “what are these?” as she came from the laundry, holding up a pack of long, fruit-flavored zig-zags. (Assonet) and Mom knowing about us getting drunk in Wilbur’s Woods, Little Compton, before we’d even managed to find our way home. Mom knew Everything.
  • Going to WahWah’s in Dartmouth.
  • Mom always saying “I used to live there!” because she’d moved so often.
  • Playing piano duets, and getting the Elbow if you flubbed it.
  • Mom saying “look it up” and her always having the means for us to do so, and the interest to discuss what we’d learned. Games after dinner- Yay!
  • Mom’s wonderful bosom to cry into when Charlie died in “Little Men”, or when Fodderwing died in “The Yearling”, which she read aloud to us.
  • Even in high school, we had to be in bed by 9p.m. (yes! Can you believe it?!) but Mom actually let us stay up late once in a while to watch the new t.v. series, Star Trek, even though it was scary. (Mom might deny turning me into a trekkie, but there it is; the way it is)
  • Mom’s whale collection; especially the one that Tony Zufich carved.
  • Playing endless bridge games with Mom, Ann Wagoner Grahn, and Sara in a rented cabin in Maine during a hurricane. I have no memory of Tom and Lucy being around, although they were there. Mom baked the yummiest open-faced peach pie.
  • Going to Church at St. Dunstan’s in Carmel Valley until being confirmed, whereupon I told Ma that I wasn’t going to keep going regularly. She handled it with grace.
  • Mom braiding our hair real tight, or if not, cutting it real short. The pixie cut.
  • Mom’s cool soothing hands when I ran a fever; milk toast and milky tea when we were sick.
  • Calendars marked with SDL, DLS, LSD to denote who’s night it was to do which chore; set the table, clear up after, and wash the dishes.
  • "May I" and "Can I." Need I say more?

The two top pictures below are the ones I keep displayed at my post office work place, so that I can talk to her whenever I wish. I think they represent Mom well.

The “Lemon Sherbert Linen Dress” photo shows the dress Ma wore to Fransje and John Holloway’s wedding. I thought it was so lovely, I had to photograph her in it. She was doing the candle-lighting patrol, making sure all the little tea lights were lit, before the bride’s arrival. My daughter Kyria, brother Tom, cousins Seth Leo, Matt Liebo, and Peter Browne, are in the background.

The photo of “Mom With the Twins” is special for her smile, and for our funny quilt blocks. Sara and I were supposed to add to the Everyone Quilt, but we were late; a year late; so this reminds me to be more with it. I also like the photo because it’s Lucy’s library, the Plumb Memorial in Rochester, where she used to work.

The last photo if self-explanatory. Mom’s wedding day. I was lucky to wear her dress on my own wedding day; with a lace bolero to hide the fact that my bosom didn’t fit the dress like Mom’s did. Isn’t she so pretty?

I am blessed to be visiting Mom for her 75th, and Lucy for her 50th, around the time of their natal days. I will add photos of those good times later. Til then, Happy Birthday Dear Mom!


Submitted by Dorothy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dottie,

I so well remember the whale Tony Zufich carved and when he gave it to your mom. And meeting Sue and you, Sara and Tom at Tony's camp. She ignored my dirty neck, fed me well, then drove you sleepy children home over the Rocky Creek dirt road and Hwy 1 in the blue and white VW bus.

I remember learning to play Nine Magazines and other games with all of you, especially fun after Sue and I had an evening cocktail.

Sue taught me that New England names all end in ie or y. There were those giggly times with Pam at Little Compton when everyone spoke with a Chinese accent. And I was Tom's blind date when he first met Pam.

She gave me the opportunity to breathe deeply at a time in my life when I needed someone to simply accept me for who I was and let that be enough.

I'm glad we've kept in touch through the many years. Sue continues to amaze me with her constant ability to care for others while also taking good care of herself. She gave me the rich gift of her family (the Leonards on the farm, Aunt Grace, John, Ruth and Nancy and acquaintance with their families). And I've always appreciated the time I spent with the Loomii clan.

Best wishes to her on this birthday. She is a good part of who I am now. I will always be grateful for that.

Happy 75th, Sue

Love, Judy Talley