my "sister" susie

It’s Tuesday before Thanksgiving and Susie’s just arrived bearing smiles and loads of goodies, from coffee (my family will drink cup after cup all day) to microwave popcorn for the kiddos, “o-be-joyful” for the adults, a fabulous new recipe for a yummy cake the guys will devour. I feel sympathetic to her horrifying tales of blinding snow in the Berkshires or jumping just in time into the bushes along the road. But she won’t be deterred, she always comes! This trip sometimes passes easily as she listens to favorite music or interesting programs on my public radio station from Albany but not always!

We get right busy nibbling on leftovers for lunch planning the attack for the afternoon. She immediately sets about making cranberry sauce – one’s never quite sure how the consistency will be but lovely jewel like bowls are set aside to cool and on to the next task. Offering to make the onion soup for Wednesday night’s dinner, I say fantastic. She gives me a present – something she found in an antique shop – a perfect gravy boat very similar in style to the pedestal one with spoon from Ma. Susie has an eye for the perfect gift! While we’re at it she hands me another package laughing and hoping I’ll like it – six funky dark blue plates embossed with gold flowers – “far out” but somehow perfect with the Titian for B&B breakfast – another winner! We rejoice together!

Where are the tablecloths and napkins to iron? She whips out yet another little surprise – a sprinkling bottle. I wonder, where did you find this??? Her annual task will be so much easier now! I’m informed, however, that she will not iron the “lace insert “ tablecloth – far too much work and I agree. After an hour or so the chairs and tables are draped with white, ready to set our elegant table. She decides to squeeze in one more job before our quiet dinner – “the dip”, my favorite. There, done. After several hours of laughing and conversation we sit down with our drinks and plan for tomorrow when everyone arrives.

I can think of no one who can make getting ready for a party such fun than my beloved “sister”, Susie. What would I do without you? Here’s to many more!!!

With love,
Junie



No comments: